Homeownership and Building Program
Helping families build strength, stability, and self-reliance through homeownership.
Since 2006, we have built 17 homes for families from our community from Cambria to Grover Beach. We will begin building 9 new units in Paso Robles in 2022.
Each home is built with a minimum 250 hours of sweat equity labor from the benefiting family, and volunteer labor from the community. We incorporate energy efficient features into each home including solar and low water-use fixtures. This is all done to decrease utility costs for the homeowners, while supporting Habitat’s commitment to green building.
We’re building 9 affordable homes in Paso Robles. Learn more about volunteering with us on this exciting project.
Our homeownership program is about more than building new homes.
When a qualified local family is in need of shelter, they may partner with Habitat for Humanity to build and purchase a home right here in our community. The home price and mortgage financing terms are structured to be affordable for the buyer. The buyer commits time, energy and sweat equity volunteer hours to the construction of their home. HFHSLOCO further supports the families by providing training on construction safety, home maintenance and repair, financial literacy and more. The mortgage payments are then returned to our community to build more affordable housing in San Luis Obispo County.
We work to empower individuals and connect the community while creating safe, affordable housing for those in need.
Applicants should display a need for housing, ability to repay an affordable mortgage, and a willingness to partner with Habitat for Humanity.
Qualified applications are reviewed by our Homeowner Selection Committee and loan applications are underwritten to ensure successful homeownership. A selected applicant will be able to meet the following criteria for homeownership.
- Provide proof of a reliable source of income that is a minimum of $48,500 annually
- Maximum annual income limits (US Department of Housing and Urban Development Low Income category limits for San Luis Obispo County): 1 to 4 person household limit, $77,600; 5 or more person household limit $102,450
- Applicants will show good credit and rental history
- Display the ability to make a mortgage payment (including principal, interest, taxes and insurance) that will not be more than 30% of the gross income
- Be citizens of the United States or provide proof of permanent residency status in the United States
- Must live or work in San Luis Obispo County
- Must be willing to contribute 250 sweat equity hours per applicant toward the construction of their home
- Commit to attend all educational workshops
- Commit to being Habitat partners and support efforts of the local affiliate
- Have a need for adequate, affordable, and/or safe housing
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.
Homeownership Application Period Closed
We are not accepting applications for our Homeownership and Building program at this time.
Rather support this program as a volunteer? Click below for more information on volunteering with us.